- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
President for preventing evil forces to continue country’s development
President M Abdul Hamid on Friday urged all irrespective of religion and caste to prevent the antiliberation forces for continuation of development in the country.
‘The anti-liberation forces have repeatedly tried to prevent the country’s democratic progress and development… But the country is moving forward despite the conspiracies,’ he said while hosting a reception for the Hindu community at Bangabhaban in Dhaka on the occasion of Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Bangali Hindu community.
The head of the state added, ‘To continue this trend of development, everyone irrespective of all religions and castes, should jointly defend all evil activities. This should be our promise on this Durga Puja.’
Noting that serving the humanity was a message borne by all religions, president Hamid called upon all to abide by the rules of religion and simultaneously come forward for welfare of human beings.
He said, ‘The Durga Puja is not only a religious festival but also a social one which helps create a bridge of unity among all people. So this festival is universal.’
President Hamid and his spouse Rashida Khanom exchanged greetings with the guests during the reception at the presidential palace.
Several members of parliament, foreign diplomats, political leaders, editors, journalist leaders, senior civil and military officers, Hindu community leaders and distinguished citizens joined the reception.