- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
New Barishal mayor Sadiq Abdullah sworn in
Newly elected mayor of Barishal City Corporation Serniabat Sadiq Abdullah took oath of office on Monday.
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina administered the oath at a ceremony held at Shapla Hall of her office.
Local government division senior secretary Zafar Ahmed Khan conducted the oath-taking ceremony.
Later, the newly elected 30 councillors of general wards and 10 female councillors of the reserved seats of Barishal City Corporation were also sworn in at the same venue.
Local government, rural development and cooperatives minister Khandker Mosharraf Hossain administered the oath to the councillors.
Awami League mayoral candidate Serniabat Sadiq Abdullah was elected mayor in the Barishal City Corporation election held on July 30 last.
Sadiq Abdullah won the election with a big margin defeating his nearest rival BNP contestant Mujibur Rahman Sarwar.