- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
- Oct 1-13 remittance earnings $566.57mn
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Country needs more CAs as economy growing fast: ICAB chief
- Only 10 parties seek army deployment with magistracy power
- Don’t pick persons linked to politics as polls observer: CEC
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Relentless rains cripple life in city, elsewhere
- Section 144 imposed in Thakurgaon
Nazrul’s 40th death anniv today
The 40th death anniversary of national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam is being observed today (Saturday) with due respects.
Nazrul, popularly known as Bidrohi Kabi (rebel poet), through his powerful poems had inspired the people to fight against all kinds of odds and injustice and repression during the colonial rule.
Nazrul's songs and poems were also a great source of inspiration for the freedom fighters during the country's Liberation War in 1971.
On August 27, 1976, the poet passed away in Dhaka at the age of 77 after suffering from a long ailment.
Different socio-cultural and political organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes to observe the day.
The programmes started with Qurankhwani after Fazr prayers at Dhaka University (DU) central mosque.
Later, teachers and students of the university placed wreaths at the grave of the national poet at 7:15 am.
Besides, special prayers will be offered at the poet's grave and a discussion will be held there where DU Vice-chancellor Dr AAMS Arefin Siddique will be present.
Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy (BSA) also placed wreath at the grave of Kazi Nazrul Islam in the morning.
In the evening, it will arrange a discussion and cultural programme where Cultural Affairs Secretary Aktari Mamtaz will be present as the chief guest.
Bangla Academy will organise a solo-lecture session followed by a cultural show at its Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium at 4 pm.
Kazi Nazrul Islam was born on May 24 in 1899 at Churulia village in Asansol subdivision of Burdwan district of West Bengal, India.