- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Minor girl dies as pick-up van hits rickshaw, crushes her
A one year old baby girl died on Sunday night as she fell off from her mother’s lap after a pick-up van hit the rickshaw and then drove off crushing her at Mohammadpur in the capital.
The incident had taken place on the eve of National Safe Road Day, 2018.
The deceased was identified as Nabila, daughter of Imran Hossian, a Dhaka-based businessperson living at Adabor.
Imran told BDchronicle that Nabila was going home from New Market with her mother Nazma Begum and two other siblings by a rickshaw on Sunday.
Around 11:00pm when the rickshaw reached near the City Hospital adjacent to Mohammadpur thana, a pick-up van, in an attempt to overtake the rickshaw, eventually hit it leading to the fatal accident, he said.
Nabila fell off from her mother’s lap on the road and the van rammed her before escaping.
The baby girl was declared dead at Dhaka Medical College Hospital, the father said.
On Monday at 10:00pm, Nabila was buried at her ancestral home at village Faridganj under Rustampur upazila in Chandpur, he added.
Mohammadpur police station officer-in-charge Jamal Uddin Mir said they arrested the driver Abdul Hanif and took the van into their custody.
The driver was sent to court on Monday while investigation was ongoing, he added.