- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Mainul Hosein arrested
Detective Branch of police on Monday night picked up former army-backed caretaker government adviser Mainul Hosein, also an organiser of newly-floated opposition political alliance Jatiya Oikya Front, from the residence of the Front’s top leader ASM Abdur Rob.
‘Barrister Mainul Hosein has been arrested from Uttara in a case filed against him in Rangpur,’ Detective Branch deputy commissioner (north) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, Mashiur Rahman, told BDchronicle.
Mainul went to Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal faction president ASM Rob’s residence at Uttara around 9:30pm and Detective Branch police picked Mainul Hosein from Rob’s residence around 10:10 pm, said a staff of the JSD leader.
Several cases were filed against Mainul at places, including in Dhaka, Rangpur, Jamalpur and Brahmanbaria, for making ‘defamatory remark’ on journalist Masuda Bhatti during a TV talk-show on Tuesday.