- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Transport worker dies in clashes with police over bridge toll
A youth was killed and 33 others were injured on Friday in a clash between transport workers and police in Hasnabad area at Keraniganj, on the outskirts of Dhaka, over collecting toll at Buriganga Bridge.
The deceased was identified as Sohel, 24, a truck helper.
Locals and police said the truck owners and workers blocked the road in Hasnabad area under Dakhkhin Keraniganj Police Station demanding cancellation of toll to cross Buriganga River using Bangladesh-China Friendship Bridge around 11:00am.
Immediately after putting the blockade, the police hindered them and the agitators began hurling brick bats targeting police, they said.
Locals alleged that the police also opened gunshots targeting the agitators.
During the clash, several policemen and agitators as well as pedestrians were injured.
Locals immediately rushed bullet-hit Sohel to nearby Ekuria General Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries at about 12:30pm, sources in the hospital said.
Besides, eight injured persons including five truck drivers and helpers and three pedestrians were rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital for treatment, the DMCH police outpost in-charge Md Bachchu Mia said.
At least 25 policemen were injured during the clash while another ‘civil youth’ was killed, Dakhkhin Keraniganj police station inspector (investigation) Md Kamal Hossain, who was injured and undergoing treatment, told BDchronicle.