- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Shahidul named for Photo Kathmandu 2018 Award
Internationally acclaimed photographer Shahidul Alam, now in jail, has been awarded with Photo Kathmandu 2018 Award of Excellence for his contribution towards the development of Nepali photography and journalism, Drik Picture Library Limited said in a statement on Friday.
The statement added that Photo Kathmandu 2018 in a press release stated that Shahidul Alam represents the highest values of truth, justice and social equality.
For over two decades, individuals and institutions in the Nepali photography and journalism fraternity have had the privilege of working with him and learning from him.
He has been a close colleague, mentor and friend to many in Nepal, enabling access to professional development opportunities, initiating international exchanges, and always speaking up for free speech.
His visionary leadership has helped to shape the development of photography, media and cultural practices in Nepal, across South Asia and the rest of the world, Photo Kathmandu 2018 statement said.
Photo Kathmandu is an international photography festival organised by photo.circle. The festival presents exhibitions, workshops, an artist residency and a diverse range of public programming to Kathmandu audiences and international visitors every two years.
Shahidul Alam, 63, was detained by plainclothes police from his home hours after giving an interview to Al Jazeera about student protests which he documented and discussed in Facebook Live on August 5.
A Dhaka metropolitan magistrate’s court on August 12 sent Shahidul to prison after he was produced before the court following interrogation in police custody for seven days.