- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Now Ershad wants Hasina talks
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina-HM Ershad (R)Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad, too, wants talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina after Dr Kamal Hossain-led Jatiya Oikya Front and AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury’s Bikalpa Dhara got invitation from the Ganabhaban.
A letter has been handed over the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on Wednesday by Jatiya Party Presidium member Sunil Shubha Roy.
The letter, signed by HM Ershad, called for talks on behalf of the Jatiya Party-led coalition the United National Front, he said.
PMO officials familiar with the matter confirmed Bdchronicle of receiving the letter.
Speaking to Bdchronicle, Ershad said that the Jatiya Party has significantly contributed to democratic process in Bangladesh.
Ahead of the national elections, we, too, feel the necessity of talks, said the former military dictator, who now serves as the special envoy to the PM with the rank and status of a Cabinet member.