- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Syed Ashraf's condition grave: Family
AL leader Syed Ashraf's brother Syed Shafayat Islam speaking at a discussion in Kishoreganj on Sunday.Public Administration Minister Syed Ashraful Islam has been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer and his condition is grave, says his brother.
He is severely ill and suffering a loss of memory, Syed Shafayat Islam said on Sunday while addressing a discussion in Kishoreganj on the Jail Killings Day.
Former Awami League general secretary Syed Ashraf is undergoing treatment at the Critical Care Medicine Unit of the Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok.
I returned from Bangkok three days ago. He did not recognise me and even his daughter. His condition is severe,Ó said Shafayat, a former Bangladesh Army major general.
Syed Ashraful Islam is seen with Awami League chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in this 2016 photo during the party's 20th National Council.
The son of national leader and BangabandhuÕs close associate Syed Nazrul Islam, Syed Ashraf came forward to steer the Awami League when it plunged into a crisis during the military-controlled caretaker government in 2007.
After serving as the general secretary of the party for two consecutive terms with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina as its chief, he is now a member of the party's policymaking Presidium.The 68-year-old lost his wife Sheila Islam last year.