- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Voting for national election likely before Christmas
The Election Commission (EC) said on Sunday that it will announce the schedule for the 11th National Election on Nov 8 (Thursday).
It, however, did not disclose the date for voting. But EC officials familiar with matter say that the voting is likely to take place before Christmas (Dec 25).
The EC decision comes after the Jatiya Oikya Front alliance requested it to defer the announcement following talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina last Thursday.
We were supposed to announce the schedule on Nov 4. Now it will be announced on Nov 8 after taking everything into consideration, Election Commissioner Shahadat Hossain Chowdhury told the media after a meeting chaired by the chief election commissioner.
The commission generally announces the schedule around 45 days before the voting day, he said, declining to go into the specifics.
The voting will take place on Dec 22 if If the 45-day timescale is maintained this time. EC officials familiar with the matter, however, said that Dec 22 is a Saturday and polls are not usually held on Fridays and Saturdays, which means it will be either on the 20th or 23rd.
Balloting in the last parliamentary elections was held 42 days after the schedule was out.
A senior EC official, on condition of anonymity, told Bbchrinicle, The EC plans to hold the voting before Christmas and the schedule will be announced accordingly.
Speaking to the media on Sunday, Commissioner Shahadat said Chief Election Commissioner Nurul Huda will announce the schedule in an address to the nation in the evening of Nov 8.
Generally, the CEC’s address to the nation is telecast live through state broadcasters BTV and Bangladesh Betar after 7pm. The schedule of the last parliamentary election was announced at 7:30pm.