- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Alibaba chief describes trade war as most stupid thing
CEO of Alibaba Group Jack Ma has described the US-China trade war as the 'most stupid thing in this world'.
The chief of Asia’s most valuable public company made the comments at the China International Import Expo (CIIE) held in the Chinese commercial hub of Shanghai on Monday, reports Reuters.
The US trade deficit with China, which Trump has blamed for a variety of economic ills, has helped create jobs in the US and without it the country would have big problems, Ma added.
China’s shift to an import model is going to be a huge pain for a lot of businesses, but it’s also going to make a good opportunity for a lot of consumers, he said.
Ma also said the government should not worry about innovation, which it should back even if it threatened old, vested interests.
My view is, Don’t worry about technology, Ma added. The people who worry about technology are first, older people, second, government and third, successful people; they hate it and worry about it.
I never see young people worry about technology.
US and China set tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars of each other’s goods and US President Donald Trump has threatened to slap tariffs on the remainder of China’s $500 billion-plus exports to the United States if the trade dispute cannot be resolved.