- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
PM expresses optimism about meaningful polls
BSS, Dhaka :
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today expressed her firm optimism that the country was heading towards a meaningful election to continue the development spree in the coming years as she joined a dialogue with Jatiya Party-led United National Alliance (UNA).
Exercising franchise is a democratic right of the people and they will apply it in a free, fair and impartial manner in the next elections, she said in her introductory comments at the dialogue of Awami League-led 14-party alliance with the UNA led by Jatiya Party Chairman and former president HM Ershad at Gono Bhaban this evening.
Sheikh Hasina added: Through this meaningful poll the countryÕs development spree will continue.
Highlighting BangladeshÕs tremendous development over 10 years, the prime minister said Jatiya Party was beside the government’s journey towards development and we thank for the cooperation that we received from the party.
Mentioning that her aim is to develop the country, the Awami League president stressed the need for keeping up the development works that her government initiated.
The prime minister also recalled Bangabandhu’s outstanding contributions to Bangladesh’s development. ÒBangladesh was turned into a least developed country by Bangabandhu and following his footsteps, we graduated from it as a developing country, she added.
The dialogue between the two alliances kicked off at 7:15 pm at the Banquet Hall of Gono Bhaban.
Prime Minister and AL President Sheikh Hasina is leading a 23-member delegation of the 14-party alliance at the dialogue, while a 33-member UNA team is being led by Jatiya Party and UNA Chairman HM Ershad.
Jatiya Party Chairman HM Ershad and Senior Co-Chairman and Leader of the Opposition Begum Raushan Ershad greeted the premier when she entered the Banquet Hall.