- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Badruddoza writes president for dialogue
Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh (BDB) President and Juktofront Chairman Dr AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury today wrote to President Abdul Hamid for a dialogue for holding the upcoming general election in a free and fair manner.
“Leaders of the Juktofront are eager to talk with you regarding some important issues” Badruddoza wrote in the letter that reached Bangabhaban around 10:00am, BDB sources said.
“According to the constitution, Election Commission is the main conductor of the election and president has the sole authority over the EC. That’s why we want to discuss the Election Commission’s strength and responsibilities via you for holding a free and fair election,” the letter added.
He also urged the president to fix the date for the dialogue by tomorrow as “time is very short”.
Meanwhile, BDB secretary Maj (retd) Abdul Mannan sent a letter to Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda requesting him to sit with the party leader before November 9 for holding talks over the issues regarding the upcoming general election.
The letter was handed over to Nurul Huda by BDB’s Organisational Secretary Barrister Omar Faruk.