- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
No march-past at Nat’l Parade Ground on Dec 16
The authorities will not hold march-past at the National Parade Ground on December 16 this year due to the upcoming national election.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal made the disclosure after a meeting on law and order on the occasion of the Victory Day celebration at the ministry conference room in the city on Wednesday.
Every year parade is held on December 16 at the National Parade Ground, but this year it will not be held due to national election, he said.
The minister said the programme of the victory day at the national parade ground has been cancelled but everything will be held on the Victory Day as per previous year.
Kamal said law enforcement agencies have been asked to boost up security measures on the occasion of the Victory Day.
Members of Bangladesh Army, Bangladesh Navy and Bangladesh Air Force usually join the Combined Military parade at the parade square. The President receives salam as part of the parade, while the Prime Minister, cabinet members, judges, chiefs of three services, parliament members, diplomats and invited foreign guests remain present on the Parade Ground.The Home Minister said, ÒThe national memorial at Savar will be brought under close circuit television cameras vigilance. The President, the Prime Minister and diplomats will be given the highest security on the day.
Among others, Secretary of Public Security Division Mostafa Kamal Uddin, Secretary of Security Services Division Farid Uddin Ahmed Chowdhury, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Dr Javed Patwari, Director General of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) Benazir Ahmed, Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Asaduzzaman Miah and officials concerned were present in the meeting, reports BSS.