- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Jatiya Party wants election schedule today
Sammilito Jatiya Jote, led by Jatiya Party chairman HM Ershad, has urged the Election Commission to announce the election schedule today.
The 15-member delegation of the alliance led by HM Ershad came up with the call during a meeting with the EC at Nirbachan Bhaban on Wednesday.
Chief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda and other election commissioners were present at the meeting.
During the meeting, the Jatiya Jote leaders placed various demands, including cancellation of electronic voting machine use, in the next general election and deployment of army as a striking force.
After the meeting, Jatiya Party secretary general ABM Ruhul Amin Hawladar told reporters that the party also urged the EC to ensure peaceful environment for holding the polls.
Jatiya Party presidium members Anisul Islam Mahmud, Mujibul Haque Chunnu, Syed Abu Hossain Babla, MA Sattar and Ziauddin Ahmed Bablu were among the delegation members