- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
8 of a family burnt dead in Joypurhat fire
Five people, who suffered serious burn injuries in a fire at a house at Aramnagar of Jaipurhat district town Wednesday night, died early Thursday, raising the death toll to eight.
The deceased were identified as Dulal Hossain, 71, father of Abdul Momin, Momin's two daughters -- Hashi, 12, and Khushi, 12, and Parina, 34, wife of Momin and her six-year-old son Nur.
Earlier, three members of the family-- Dulal Chandu, 55, his son Momin, 35, and Momin's daughter Brishti, 14, who is also a JSC examinee, were burnt to death and five others sustained burn injuries as the fire broke out at the house following a short-circuit.
Jaipurhat Sadar Police station inspector (investigation) Mominul Huq told New Age that the fire originated from electric short-circuit at the house of Abdul Momin at about 9:30pm.
Of the eight family members, three died on the spot and five others were taken to Jaipurhat Sadar Hospital from where they were shifted to Bogra Shaheed Zia Medical College and Hospital.
Jaipurhat Sadar Police Station officer-in-charge Sirajul Islam said five others died early Thursday on the way to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.