- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
‘Drug peddler’ killed in Chuadanga ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight between a team of patrol police and a gang of drug peddlers in Ujalpur area of Chuadanga Sadar early Thursday.
The deceased was identified as Pappu Hossain, 30, son of Bazlur Rahman, a resident of Akandabaria village in the upazila.
Chuadanga police station officer-in-charge Delowar Hossain Khan said that a team of police was patrolling in Ujalpur area around 2:30am. At that time, a group of drug peddlers opened fire on the patrol police, prompting them to fire back that triggered a gunfight.
After the gunfight, police found the Pappu’s bullet wounds body lying on the land while his associates managed to flee from the spot.
Later, police took Pappu to Chuadanga Sadar Hospital where on duty doctors declared him dead, Delowar said.
He was wanted in six cases including of drug and arms.
Police also seized a shooter gun, two rounds of bullets, four hand bombs and a sack of phensidyls from the spot, the OC added.