- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
EC announces schedule to hold lopsided polls: Fakhrul
BNP today came down heavily on the Election Commission for hurriedly announcing the schedule for the next parliamentary election and said all have been set to hold a lopsided election.
An arrangement has been done to hold a lopsided election, BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul came up with the reaction hours after the announcement of the national polls schedule.
In his instant reaction, Fakhrul said the government’s desire has been reflected through the announcement of the schedule for the 11th parliamentary election.
Earlier, Fakhrul held an emergency meeting with BNP’s alliance partner at party Chief Khaleda Zia’s Gulshan office in Dhaka to devise the next course of the programme in the backdrop of the polls schedule announcement.
Earlier, Fakhrul held an emergency meeting with BNP’s alliance partner at party Chief Khaleda Zia’s Gulshan office in Dhaka to devise the next course of programme in the backdrop of the polls schedule announcement.
Coming out of the meeting, Fakhrul said that the countrymen would never accept any election that goes against their hopes and aspirations.
He said a delegation of Jatiya Oikyafront met the chief election commissioner and other commissioners and requested them to defer the polls schedule announcement date but they did not take the call into account.
The schedule for the next general election was announced ignoring people’s hope and expectation, he claimed.