Fire kills all 8 of a family

09 Nov,2018


All eight members of a family died from a fire that originated from an electric short circuit following a rice cooker explosion at their residence at Arambagh in Jaipurhat district town Wednesday night.

The deceased were Dulal Hossain, 75, his wife Momena Begum, 65, their son Abdul Momin, 37, wife Parima Begum, 30, Momin-Parim couple’s three daughters — Brishri, 15, and 13-year-old twin Hasi and Khushi, and one and a half year old son Nur Hossain.
The lone bread earner Momin was a chicken trader while his daughter Brishti was a Junior School Certificate examinee and Hasi and Khushi were students of Class VI of Collectorate High School.
Jaipurhat Sadar Police station inspector (investigation) Mominul Huq told BDchronicle that the fire originated from an electric short circuit at the house of Abdul Momin at about 9:30pm.
He said when the locals, police and firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the fire they recovered three charred bodies and rescued five other family members who also suffered critical burn injuries.
Those who died on the spot are Momin, his mother Momena and daughter Brishti, the police inspector said.
He said that they immediately rushed the five to Jaipurhat Sadar Hospital from where they were referred to the burn and plastic surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Jaipurhat Sadar Police Station officer-in-charge Sirajul Islam said four of the victims — Parima and her three children Hasi, Khushi and Nur Hossain — died early Thursday on the way to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
He said that the remaining one — Dulal died at about 9:00am on Thursday at DMCH burn and plastic surgery unit.
Quoting physicians of Jaipurhat hospital, the OC said, all five members suffered 60 to 80 per cent burns, including burns in their respiratory tracts. 
BDchronicle Correspondent in Jaipurhat, quoting the district fire service inspector, reported that after receiving information of fire at Momin’s residence they rushed to the spot and recovered the bodies and rescued the injured.
He said all eight members of the family who were in four rooms of their tin-shed building hid under cots or tables after hearing a big bang of explosion at about 9:30pm on Wednesday while the main gate of the house was locked.
Within moments, he said, fire engulfed the entire house and the family members could not come out of their rooms. 
The fire service official said that they suspected that the fire originated from an electric short circuit following a rice cooker explosion.
Immediately after the incident, the district deputy commissioner Zakir Hossain, superintendent of police Rashidul Hasan and Jaipurhat-2 lawmaker Abu Sayeed Al Mahmud Swapan and other leaders of local political and socio-cultural organizations rushed to the spot and visited the victims.
The victims were buried at a graveyard near their house after their namaz-e-janaza at nearby Shaheed Zia College in the afternoon.
On Thursday, the district administration formed a committee headed by additional district magistrate Sonia Binte Tabib, the police formed a committee led by additional superintendent of police Uzzwal Kumar Roy and the fire service and civil defence formed a committee led by deputy assistant director Nizam Uddin to probe the incident, officials at the district administration said.
The committees formed by the district administration and the police were asked to submit their reports within three working days while the fire service probe committee was asked to submit their reports within seven days, said the Jaipurhat deputy commissioner Zakir Hossain.

More News