- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
EC appoints returning officers for 11th parliamentary polls
The Election Commission has appointed deputy commissioners of all the districts and two divisional commissioners as returning officers to conduct the 11th national elections to be held on December 23 next.
Besides, upazila nirbahi officers have been appointed as assistant returning officers. In some constituencies, assistant commissioners have been made assistant returning officers.
The EC issued a notification signed by EC secretary Helaluddin Ahmed appointing the returning officers and assistant returning officers, said EC joint secretary SM Asaduzzaman on Friday.
The deputy commissioners have been made returning officers for all the constituencies of the district concerned except Dhaka and Chattogram.
In Dhaka, the divisional commissioner has been made the returning officer for 15 constituencies while the deputy commissioner for the rest five constituencies of the district.
In Chattogram, the divisional commissioner has been made the RO for six constituencies while the deputy commissioner for the rest 10 constituencies of the district.
On Thursday last, chief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda announced the schedule for the next general election.
According to the schedule, the last date for submitting nomination papers is November 19 while the date for scrutinising nomination papers is November 22 and the last date for the withdrawal of nomination papers is November 29.