- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Dr Kamal not to attend Oikya Front’s Rajshahi rally due to illness
Gono Forum president Dr Kamal Hossain was reported to be ill and could not go to Rajshahi to join Jatiya Oikya Front's scheduled public rally there to be held Friday afternoon due to his illness.
‘Dr Kamal Hossain was scheduled to go to Rajshahi with us by air in the morning to attend today's rally there. But, he was forced to cancel the trip due to his illness,’ said Gono Forum general secretary Mostafa Mohsin Montu.
Dr Kamal was supposed to address the rally as the chief guest while BNP secretary general as the main speaker.
Gano Forum training affairs secretary Rafiqul Islam Pathik said their party president had been suffering from fever since Thursday.
The rally will be held at Madrasa Maidan in Rajshahi city from 2:00pm.
Jatiya Oikyafront leaders said they had taken necessary preparations to stage a big showdown through the rally though law enforcers had kept arresting and harassing their leaders and activists.
BNP chairperson's adviser Mizanur Rahman Minu said they were facing a serious problem in organising the rally due to harassment by law enforcers.
He, however, hoped that their party leaders and activists would make the rally a success with their spontaneous participation in it braving all the obstacles.