- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
AL starts selling nomination papers
The ruling Awami League on Friday started selling the party's nomination papers for the upcoming 11th parliamentary election.
AL general secretary Obaidul Quader inaugurated the sale of nomination forms at AL president's Dhanmondi political office around 10:00am by purchasing a nomination paper on behalf of the party president Sheikh Hasina.
Quader bought two forms for AL's president Sheikh Hasina. One of the forms was bought for contesting from Gopalganj-3 (Tungipara-Kotalipara). Later he handed over the forms to the AL's religious affairs secretary Sheikh Abdullah.
Obaidul Quader said the name of the constituency for which the other form was bought would be disclosed later.
He also bought another form for speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury for contesting from Rangpur-6 and handed over it to the deputy speaker advocate Fazle Rabbi Miah.
Later, AL joint secretary Mahbub Ul Alam Hanif bought another form for AL general secretary Quader for Noakhali-5 constituency.