- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
People suffer as no buses ply in Rajshahi
No buses were seen plying in Rajshahi or allowed entry to the city today ahead of the political rally of Jatiya Oikyafront, a newly floated opposition alliance.
The lack of public transport, which resulted after transport leaders and workers announced a 48-hour transport strike in Rajshahi and Natore yesterday, caused much suffering to the commuters.
Many commuters had to walk or try other means of transports for reaching their destinations due to unavailability of buses, reports our staff correspondent visiting different areas in the city.
The transport strike began in Natore yesterday.
However, General Secretary of Rajshahi Road Transport Owners' Group Monjur Rahman told our correspondent that the transport strike has been withdrawn last night.
Asked why no bus can be seen plying on the roads, he said, “That could be due to the fact that some individual bus owners and drivers are afraid of the past violence and atrocities BNP committed and chose not to be on the road today ahead of the rally.”
A transport leader in Rajshahi told this correspondent seeking anonymity that they have been instructed not to rent buses to rally-goers in the region.
The rally-goers were facing difficulty to reach the programme venue at Madrasa Maidan in Rajshahi city this afternoon due to lack of vehicles. Bus owners have also allegedly called off almost all bus bookings made by rally-goers.
The law enforcers were also checking all other kinds of vehicles, especially four-wheelers, at different intersections and entry points in Rajshahi city.