- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
PROF AKM FAZLE HUSSAIN is president's Endowed Distinguished Chair in Engineering, Science, and Medicine and senior adviser to the president of Texas Tech University.
He completed PhD and MS from Stanford University and BS from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in mechanical engineering and postdoctoral on geophysical fluid dynamics from American Mathematical Society Summer Institute.
He is honorary professor (for life), Peking University of Beijing and was CTR senior fellow of Stanford University.
He was awarded Eckhart Prize for outstanding PhD dissertation from Stanford University, Fluid Dynamics Prize by the American Physical Society, Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers Gold Medal, 2003, and Institution of Engineers Bangladesh Medal, 2004.