- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Police arrest Jubo League leader over AL factional clash
A local Jubo League leader was arrested on Saturday night in connection with the clashes between two factions of Awami League in Mohammadpur area of Dhaka that resulted in the deaths of two teenage boys.
Dhaka Metropolitan police Tejgaon Division Deputy Commissioner Bilpob Kumar Biswas said the arrestee, Arifur Rahman Tuhin, is the convener of Adabar unit of Jubo League, reports bdnews24.com.
Mohammadpur Police OC Jamal Uddin Mir said that Tuhin would be brought to court to request a five-day remand for questioning.
Arifur Rahman Tuhin is known as a follower of Awami League Joint General Secretary Jahangir Kabir Nanak and recently lost a City Corporation race for councillor.
Farooq Hossain, the father of one of the victims, Arif, filed a case over the incident at Mohammadpur Police Station on Saturday night.
The case was filed under section 304 of the Penal Code, which concerns deaths due to reckless driving.
The case accuses 20-25 unnamed individuals, said OC Jamal Uddin Mir.
Police are working to arrest those involved with the incident,Ó he added.
Earlier on Saturday, two teenage boys were run over by a vehicle and killed amid a clash between supporters of local lawmaker Jahangir Kabir Nanak and another prospective candidate, also General Secretary of Dhaka North unit of Awami League, Sadek Khan in the area.