- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Indigenous woman gang-raped in Sherpur
A woman of the Garo community was reportedly gang-raped by two young men at Kharamora village in Sribardi upazila of Sherpur, reports UNB.
Police arrested one of the accused Arfan Ali, 35, son of Mafizul Haque of Balijuri village in the same upazila.
Victim's family member claimed Arfan Ali and his accomplice entered the woman's house introducing themselves as law enforcers and soon tied up the woman with a piece of cloth and violated her there by turn.
Hearing the screams of the victim, next-door neighbours rushed in and managed to nab Arfan and later handed him over to police while the other accused fled the scene.
Sribardi police station officer-in-charge Mohammad Ruhul Amin Talukdar said police produced Arfan before the court seeking three-day remand after the victim filed a case accusing two including Arfan.
The victim was sent to the hospital for medical check-ups, the OC added.