- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BNP leaders at jail to meet Khaleda
A four-member delegation of BNP led by its Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir went to the old Dhaka Central Jail to meet party Chairperson Khaleda Zia.
The other delegation members are BNP standing committee members: Moudud Ahmed, Jamiruddin Sircar and Mirza Abbas, Sayrul Kabir Khan, a staff of BNP chairperson's media wing, told The Bdchronicle this afternoon.
The jail authorities have already given permission to the delegation to meet Khaleda at 3:00pm, he said.
WHY KHALEDA IS IN JAIL?
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia is in jail since February 23.
She landed in jail over Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case, where she was initially given a five-year term, and later an extended 10-year-term following appeal.
Khaleda also stands convicted in Zia Charitable Trust corruption case, where she has been given seven years in imprisonment.