- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Shimul Murder: SC stays Shahzadpur mayor's bail
The Supreme Court today stayed a High Court verdict that granted bail to Sirajganj Shahzadpur Municipality Mayor Halimul Haque Miru in journalist Abdul Hakim Shimul murder case.
Miru cannot get released from jail following the SC order.
A five-member bench of the Appellate Division headed by Justice M Imman Ali passed the order after hearing a petition filed by Shimul's wife Nurun Nahar seeking a stay on the HC verdict.
The apex court also asked Nurun Nahar to file a leave to appeal petition with this court against the HC verdict in two weeks.
Abdul Hakim Shimul, the daily Samakal's reporter for Shahzadpur in Sirajganj was gunned down on February 2, 2017.
The following day, Nurun Nahar filed a murder case with Shahzadpur Police Station against the Mayor Miru and several others.
Following a bail petition, the HC on November 4 this year granted a permanent bail to Miru in the case.
Advocate Abdul Matin Khashru appeared for Nurun Nahar in the court today.