- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Bridge collapses in Mirzapur
Thousands of people are suffering as a bridge at Fotepur in Mirzapur upazila collapsed on Wednesday, disrupting communication in quite a few villages.
The 50-foot-long bridge, constructed on Fotepur canal about 25 years ago, collapsed as the earth under the pillars was washed away during the last rainy season, locals said.
As a result, road communication between Fotepur, Pardighi, Sutanori and Thalpara villages under Fotepur union, and Basail, Kanchanpur, Moteshwar and Joutukipara villages of adjacent Basail upazila, was disrupted, they said.
Road communication between Tangail and Dhaka via Fotepur Bazar has been cut-off due to collapse of the bridge.
Students from Fotepur Uttar Para and Purbo Para, Sutanori and Pardighi villages, who used the bridge to go to Hat Fotepur High School, are also facing problem, locals said.
The bridge is very important for the movement of local people and they have been facing problems since its collapse, said Ibrahim Miah of Fotepur village.
The authorities should repair the bridge as soon as possible considering the woes of the local people, especially the students, he added.
Fotepur Union Parishad Chairman Md Abdur Rouf said he visited the spot and informed the Local Government and Engineering Department (LGED) in Mirzapur about the situation.
Mirzapur LGED Sub-Assistant Engineer Rafiqul Islam said they have sent a proposal to the higher authorities to construct another bridge in place of the collapsed one.
"Construction work of the bridge will start after approval of the project," he added.
Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.