- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Defence lawyers get certified copy of verdict
The defence lawyers of Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia on Wednesday said that they received the certified copy of the verdict in Zia Charitable Trust graft case.
We receive the certified copy of the 632-page verdict, defence counsel Zainul Abedin Mesbah said.
He said that they got it in the evening.
On October 29, the Dhaka Special Judge’s Court-5 jailed the former prime minister and three others for seven years in Zia Charitable Trust graft case filed in August 2011.
Judge Md Akhtaruzzaman pronounced the verdict amid tight security in and around the makeshift courtroom inside the old Dhaka Central Jail.
The court came up with the verdict in absence of Khaleda, who was then undergoing treatment at Bangabndhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University hospital in Dhaka under jail custody, and defence lawyers and without hearing the defence arguments.
The verdict came about two hours after the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court rejected Khaleda’s petition clearing the way for the continuation of the trial in her absence exempting her from personal appearance.
The same court on February 8 jailed Khaleda for five years in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.