- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
No scope to defer election schedule: EC secretary
Election Commission Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed wednesday said there is no scope to defer the election schedule.EC Secretary said this to the newsmen after a meeting with the delegations of the Jatiya Oikya Front and the ruling Awami League at the Election Commission Bhaban here yesterday.
The elections would become difficult for us after December…there is lot
of events including Biswa Ijtema would take place in January,Ó said the EC
official.Claiming that favorable election atmosphere is prevailing, the EC secretary said the environment is totally favorable to hold the election now, but today’s incident in city’s Nayapaltan is quite miserable.