- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BCL gives ultimatum to Fakhrul
Bangladesh Chhatra League today issued an ultimatum asking BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir to make an apology by 48 hours for his remark about BCL.
Fakhrul, talking about the clash between BNP men and police yesterday, termed the attack as premeditated and alleged that BCL men wearing helmets took part in the mayhem at Naya Paltan.
We will lay seize to BNP Chairperson Khaleda ZiaÕs Gulshan office if Fakhrul does not withdraw his allegation and make apology by 48 hours,Ó BCL General Secretary Golam Rabbani warned at a student rally on Dhaka University Campus this afternoon.
He also threatened to file a defamation case against BNP leaders Fakhrul, Mirza Abbas and Goyeshwar Chandra Roy if they do not respond to their call by the deadline.
At least 20 BNP activists and as many policemen were injured in pitched battles between BNP activists and police in front of the party's Naya Paltan central office yesterday. Two police vehicles were torched in the clash.
The BCL men held the rally on the Raju Memorial Sculpture premises at the DU.
The BCL, in a press release, today announced to stage countrywide demonstration tomorrow protesting the attack on policemen and torching of their vehicles, reports BSS.