- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Biswa Ijtema to be delayed for election
Unb, Dhaka :
The Biswa Ijtema will not be held as per its schedule this year due to the national election.
It was decided at a meeting with two factions of Tablig Jamaat held at the secretariat yesterday with Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan in the chair.
However, no decision was taken about when the Biswa Ijtema would begin.
Talking to UNB, the home minister said it would not be possible to provide security for the Biswa Ijtema due to the 11th parliamentary elections.
"The Election Commission also wants that the congregation is held after the election."
He said the new date for the Ijtema will be decided after the election.
The first phase of Biswa Ijtem was scheduled to be held from January 11-13 while the second one from January 18-20.
As per the latest schedule, the general election will be held on December 30.