- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Screening Hasina's docudrama violates code of conduct: BNP
Ruhul Kabir RizviBangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) on Saturday demanded that the screening of docudrama titled ÔHasina, A DaughterÕs TaleÕ be stopped to check the violation of the electoral code of conduct, reports UNB.
ÒSheikh Hasina took interviews of her partyÕs nomination seekers at Ganabhaban by violating the section 14 (B) of the election of conduct. Now a docudrama, ÔHasina, A DaughterÕs TaleÕ, is being screened at different theatres in the capital and Chattogram,Ó said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
ÒThe prime minister is an election candidate and a political personality. Different historical events, political contexts, change of power, her political experience and the countryÕs overall situation and her views have been presented in the docudrama unilaterally and this is a serious violation of the electoral code of conduct. So, itÕll have to be withdrawn from the cinema halls immediately.Ó
Hasina, A DaughterÕs TaleÕ, a 70-minute docudrama on the eldest child of father of the nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was released in Dhaka and Chattogram on Friday.
Rizvi said it is not comprehensible how the PM being an election candidate is violating the code of conduct.
As per the code of conduct, he said, no candidate can start election campaign three weeks before the voting and carry out any electioneering through any photo or statement of the candidate. ÒIsnÕt this docudrama a promotional one?Ó
Rizvi said a campaign is being carried out with posters having Sheikh HasinaÕs photos at different theatres, and it is also a violation of the code of conduct.
The BNP leader criticised the Election Commission for what he said playing a role of silent spectator about such violation of the electoral code of conduct.
Besides, he said, the prime ministerÕs development activities are being screened at different points of the city violating the election code of conduct.
Rizvi urged the Election Commission to take prompt action against the violation of the code of conduct and create a level-playing field. ÒOtherwise, the election to be conducted by you will turn into a farce to people.Ó