- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Clash halts traffic on Dhaka-Chattogram highway
Traffic movement on the Dhaka-Chattogram highway remains suspended since this afternoon following a clash between two rival groups in Narayanganj over establishing supremacy in the area.
The clash ensued between the supporters of Khalil, a union parishad member, and supporters of Amir Hossain in Madanpur area around 12:30pm, our Narayanganj correspondent reports quoting officer-in-charge of Bandar Police Station Azharul Islam.
Supporters of Amir Hossain attacked Khalil with sharp weapons when he was at his poultry feed shop near the Madanpur bus stand, leaving Khalil and another person injured.
In response, Khalil's supporters also attacked the rivals and blocked the highway at Madanpur point resulting in a 10-15km tailback on both sides of the highway, the OC told the correspondent around 3:30pm.
Khalil and the other injured person were sent to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Members of Rapid Action Battalion and Police have been deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.