- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Govt files appeal seeking stay on Shahidul’s bail
The government on Monday morning filed an application seeking stay on the bail granted by High Court Division to acclaimed photographer Shahidul Alam.
Appellate Division judge-in chamber Hasan Foez Siddique is due to hear the application later in the day, attorney general Mahbubey Alam told reporters.
The government prayed for staying Shahidul Alam’s bail stating that the High Court had granted him bail without applying judicial mind.
Earlier, Shahidul Alam was denied bail time as three HC benches he had approached declined to hear his bail application.
The fourth bench of Justice Sheikh Abdul Awal and Justice Bhishmadev Chakrabortty finally heard him and granted bail on November 15.
On August 5, the Detective Branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police picked up Shahidul Alam from his residence without showing any warrant or reason.