- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Govt to give out `Mother of Humanity' welfare award
Bangladesh government will be giving out ÔMother of Humanity Social Welfare AwardÕ to five benevolent souls or organisations every year.
The cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, okayed the draft Mother of Humanity Social Welfare Policy at its regular meeting today.
Cabinet Secretary M Shafiul Alam told reporters after the meeting, the ÔMother of HumanityÕ title indicates to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Every year, the award will be given out to five individuals or organisations for contribution to social welfare under five separate categories.
Each awardee will receive a gold medal, a replica memorabilia of the award, a certificate of honour and a cash sum of Tk 2 lakh after being nominated.
The award will be given out every year on January 2, the national day for social welfare.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was given the title of ÔMother of HumanityÕ at home after she sheltered the persecuted Rohingya refugees fleeing from Myanmar.