- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Phd student goes ‘missing just before flying for SKorea’
A young man went missing Wednesday night when he was going to Shahjalal International Airport to catch a flight for South Korea where he is pursuing his Phd, family members claim.
Enamul Haque Moni, 31, hailing from Radhanagar of Pabna Sadar upazila, was scheduled to fly for South Korea at 1:00am on Thursday, his wife Nipa told The BDchronicle yesterday. A General Diary has been lodged in this regard with Dakshin Khan Police Station, the following day.
Yesterday, an unknown person called Nipa from Moni’s mobile and demanded Tk 1 lakh ransom from the family, the wife said adding that the money was sent through Bkash but her husband is yet to be released.
According to Nipa, Moni started for Dhaka from his in-Iaw’s residence in Islampur of Jamalpur district by train on Wednesday and last talked to Nipa over phone after Moni reached one of his friends’ residence at Ashkona, close to the Dhaka airport.
He went out of his friend Emdadul Haque Ronny’s house for the airport around 10:00pm.
Around 10:30pm, one of his friends Shakil who is now in South Korea called Moni and he said he was near the airport gate, Nipa said quoting the friend.
But after that, Moni’s mobile phone was found switched off, she claimed.
Moni’s brother and brother-in-law soon reached Dhaka and filed the GD.
Talking to The BDchronicle this morning, Dakshinkhan Police Station Tapan Kumar Saha said a GD has been filed in this regard and they are looking into the matter.
Moni completed his masters from Bangladesh Agriculture University of Mymensingh and went to South Korea in 2012 to complete his Phd from Kyungpook National University.