- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Sadek Hossain gets 10-year jail in graft case
A Dhaka court on Wednesday sentenced four people including former mayor of undivided Dhaka City Corporation and Bangladesh Nationalist Party leader Sadek Hossain Khoka to 10 years imprisonment in a case filed for alleged corruption in leasing a multi-storey car parking in the city's Banani area.
Dhaka divisional special Judge Mizanur Rahman Khan passed the order following a hearing on the case.
The three others convicts are DCC unique complex shop owners' association president Abdul Baten Nakib, its general secretary Mahmud Hasan Azad and car parking manager HM Tarek.
The court also fined Tk 20 lakh to Khoka while 10 lakh each to the other convicts.
Earlier, on November 29, 2015, a court framed charges against the BNP leader and three others in the case.
On June 24, 2015, a lower court issued a warrant for the arrest of BNP leader Khoka as he did not appear before it during hearing on the day.
Anti-Corruption Commission deputy director Nur Hossain, also investigation officer of the case, submitted a charge-sheet against the four accused on November 11, 2012.
On February 15, 2012, ACC assistant director M Mahbubul Alam filed the case with Shahbagh police station on charge of misappropriating Tk 30.82 lakh from the car parking project.
According to the prosecution, DCC invited a tender in 2003 to lease out Banani unique complex's basement as car parking.
The DCC had been deprived of over Tk 30.82 lakh from February 2003 to February 2011 as then mayor Khoka in connivance with other accused stayed the tender process.