- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Ex mayor Hanif’s 12th death anniv observed
The 12th death anniversary of Mohammad Hanif, the first elected mayor of Dhaka City Corporation and former president of Dhaka city unit of the Awami League, was observed on Wednesday.
Hanif, who suffered critical splinter injuries in the August 21, 2004 grenade attack, died on November 28, 2006.
The Dhaka South City Corporation, the Awami League’s Dhaka city unit, the Mayor Mohammad Hanif Memorial Foundation, Bangabandhu Sangskritik Jote, front and associate bodies of the Awami League and different socio-cultural organisations observed the day with elaborate programmes.
Different social and cultural organisations paid tributes to Hanif by placing wreaths at his grave at Azimpur in the morning.
AL’s city (south) unit president Abul Hasnat and general secretary Shahe Alam Murad were present, among others.
The DSCC held a discussion on the life and works of Hanif at the Nagar Bhaban. The DSCC mayor Sayeed Khokon, lawmaker Haji Selim, Shahe Alam Murad and the DSCC chief executive officer Mostafizur Rahman were present, among others, at the discussion.