- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
EC asks police to withdraw N’ganj SP
Election Commission on Wednesday asked the police headquarters to withdraw Narayanganj Superintendent of Police Anisur Rahman following a demand made by Bangladesh Nationalist Party-led alliance.
Addressing a press conference at Nirbachon Bhaban in the capital, the commission secretary Helaluddin Ahmed said that EC made the decision based on ‘specific allegations’ against him.
Last week, BNP-led alliance had demanded withdrawal of the SP as his wife was a lawmaker of Awami League in a reserved seat.
EC officials told BDchronicle that the commission also asked police to start an investigation against the SP of Bhola saying that the police officer was allegedly involved in activities which might damage electoral environment.