- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
First police conviction in Philippine drug war killing
Three Philippine policemen were sentenced on Thursday to decades in prison for murdering a teenager during an anti-narcotics sweep, a first conviction of officers carrying out president Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs.
Duterte has vowed to pardon authorities involved in his bloody crackdown, but even he refused to defend the 2017 killing of Kian delos Santos in a dank Manila alley — which helped spark rare protests against the campaign.
Police said the 17-year-old was a drug courier who fired at them while resisting arrest. However, CCTV footage showed two of the policemen dragging the unarmed boy moments before he was shot dead.
Delos Santos' family erupted in tears in the cramped northern Manila courtroom after the men were convicted and sentenced to reclusion perpetua, which carries a minimum of 20 years behind bars.
Drug war critics hailed the conviction as an example of justice and accountability, which they said have been rare since Duterte unleashed the campaign to rid the Philippines of narcotics in 2016.
Since then police say they have killed nearly 5,000 alleged drug users and pushers who fought against arrest, while rights groups say the true toll is at least triple that and may amount to crimes against humanity.
‘This is a light in the darkness. Despite the gruesome climate of killing and impunity in the country, this verdict sends the message that there is hope and justice,’ said opposition Senator Risa Hontiveros.
Carlos Conde, Philippines researcher for human rights watch, told AFP: ‘This is a warning to the Philippine national police that they better follow due process and respect the rights of suspects.’
Duterte and his drug war are backed by many Filipinos fed up with high crime and a slow-moving judicial system.
But the death of Delos Santos, as well as of two other Manila teenagers accused of robbing a taxi driver, triggered rare street protests in 2017 and highlighted concerns about police abuse.
Days after the killing Duterte said in a speech: ‘It was really bad. That was really not performance of duty. Do not commit a crime’.
It led to Duterte briefly suspending police participation in the drug crackdown for a second time.
The first occasion was in January last year after narcotics police officers were arrested for the kidnapping and murder of a South Korean businessman in 2016.
However, in both instances the police were reinstated in the campaign without major reforms.