- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Murder accused killed in Savar ‘gunfight’
An accused in a murder case was killed in a reported gunfight with police at Yearpur in Ashulia of Savar, on the outskirts of Dhaka, early Thursday.
The deceased was identified as Babul Mia, 27, son of Babar Ali Munshi of Teknimunshipara in Sonatala upazila in Bagura. He was an accused in garment worker Mehedi Hasan killing case.
Tipped-off, a team of police conducted a drive in the area around 1:30am, said Sheikh Rezaul Haq Dipu, officer-in-charge of Ashulia Police Station.
Sensing presence of the law enforcers, Babul Mia along with his associates opened fire on police, forcing them to fire back in self-defense.
At one stage, police arrested Babul with bullet injuries and took him to Savar Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared him dead.
Mehedi Hasan, a garments worker, was killed after abduction and his seven body parts were recovered from a refrigerator of a house few days ago, said police.