- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BNP leaders fail to file nomination for own faults: Quader
Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader on Thursday said that the Bangladesh Nationalist Party leaders had failed to file their nomination papers on Wednesday for their own faults.
Wednesday was the last date for filing nomination papers for candidates in the next general election scheduled to be held on December 30.
Some of the heavyweight candidates of the BNP did not file their nomination papers on the day.
While speaking at a press briefing at the office of the party president, Quader, also the road transport and bridges minister, said, ‘It was internal matter of BNP and so far I know, two leaders among them did not file their nomination paper as they did not get their desired constituencies.’
Moreover, BNP standing committee member Mirza Abbas did not file his nomination papers in time.
So, the Election Commission did not accept his nomination papers, Quader said.
BNP is now facing a leadership crisis and the party leaders are not accepting the leadership of party’s secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir and Jatiya Oikya Front is not united now, Quader said.
If anywhere the BNP candidates were barred to file their nomination papers, they should file specific complaint with the Election Commission, Quader said.
Referring to the issue of Shakila Farzana, who had got BNP nomination, Quader said that she was allegedly involved in the financing of extremist forces in Bangladesh and BNP had nominated more candidates in the elections who had connection with extremism.
In case of giving nominations under the banner of BNP led alliance, BNP had given nomination for the Jamaat leaders who would take part in the election taking symbol of ‘sheaf of paddy’, Quader said.
Organising secretaries of the party AFH Bahauddin Nasin, Ahmad Hossain, and BM Mozammel Haque, central leaders Abdus Sobur and Baplab Barua attended the press briefing.