- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BNP candidate Mosharef remanded, Khokon lands in jail
A court in Dhaka on Thursday remanded opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party candidate for Dhaka 7 Mosharef Hosain Khokon in police custody for two day while its Narsingdi 1 candidate Khairul Kabir Khokon was sent to jail by a Narsingdi court.
New Age Court Correspondent reported that metropolitan magistrate Mamunur Rashid remanded Mosharef in police custody as police produced him before the court seeking in custody for 10 days for interrogation.
Lalbagh police produced him before the court a day after BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi at a briefing on Wednesday alleged that Mosharraf, also Dhaka south city BNP vice-president, went missing on his way back home submitting nomination papers in the afternoon.
Lalbagh police station officer-in-charge Subhash Kumar Paul said that Mosharef was arrested Wednesday afternoon in a case of sabotage filed in September.
New Age correspondent in Narsingdi reported that a court in the district sent BNP joint secretary general Khairul Kabir Khokon to jail, rejecting his bail petition.
Khokon, also the party’s district unit president, submitted nomination papers for contesting the December 30 parliamentary polls in Narisingdi 1 constituency.
The district BNP office secretary Aminul Hoque Bachchu said that Khairul Kabir Khokn went to the district and session judge’s court seeking bail in a case.
After hearing of arguments of the both parties the district judge rejected bail petition and sent him to jail.
Earlier, police filed the case against some BNP leaders including Khokon under Special Powers Act.
Meanwhile Narsingdi sadar police arrested district Juba Dal president Mohsin Hossain Bidyut on court premises on Thursday.
Assistant superintendent of police Shahriar Alam confirmed Bidyut’s arrest.