- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Two burnt to death in Shariatpur
Two workers of a sweetmeat shop were burnt to death in a fire that broke out at Palong Bazar in Shariatpur Sadar early Friday.
The deceased were identified as Palash, 25, son of Rabindranath Sarker and Biswajit Sarkar, 20, son of Rupchan Sarkar of Rajoir upazila in Madaripur.
Maniruzzaman, officer-in-charge of Palong Model Police Station, said the fire broke out at 'Gopalghosh Sweetmeat' in the bazar around 4:00am and spread soon.
On information, four firefighting units from the nearest station rushed there and extinguished the blaze after four hours of frantic efforts.
Later, the firefighters recovered the charred bodies from inside the shop.
At least 16 shops including those of jewelry and hardware were gutted in the fire.
The origin of the fire could not be known immediately.