- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Baby slapped dead in Sirajganj, 2 held
An 11-month-old baby girl, who was slapped allegedly by a neighbour at Khalishapur village in Sirajganj Sadar upazila on Friday, died early today.
The deceased was identified as Amina Khatun, daughter of Rashed Ali of the village.
Victim’s mother Rokeya Khatun said she locked into an altercation with neighbour Jahangir Hossain on Friday afternoon over damaging plants by a goat.
At one stage, Jahangir slapped Amina on the back, leaving her ill.
The baby girl died in the early hours of Saturday, Rokeya said.
On information, police recovered the body in the morning and arrested Jahangir Hossain, 36, and his father Mobarak Ali, 60, said Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station.