- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Khaleda's Feni-1 nomination rejected
BNP chief Khaleda Zia’s nomination papers for contesting in the parliamentary election from Feni-1 constituency have been rejected due to her conviction in two corruption cases.
Returning Officer Md Wahiduzzaman rejected the nomination papers of Khaleda and three others in the constituency at 11:30am today, reports our Feni correspondent.
The three others were BNP nominee Nur Mohammad and independent candidates Abul Basher Chowdhury and Mizanur Rahman.
BNP has submitted nomination papers for Khaleda Zia for Feni-1, Bogura-6 and Bogura-7 constituencies.
The ROs are scrutinising 3,065 nominations, including the three of Khaleda, today.
If the ROs reject her nominations during the scrutiny of nomination papers, the BNP will launch a legal battle for Khaleda's participation in the election, party insiders said yesterday.