- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Crime suspect killed in Narayanganj ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight with members of Rapid Action Battalion in Shahidnagar area of Narayanganj Sadar early Sunday.
The deceased was identified as Hasan, 38, accused in more than 20 cases.
Being tipped-off, a team of the elite force conducted a drive in the area to recover drugs, according to a text message sent by RAB on Sunday.
Sensing the presence of RAB members, the criminal opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back, triggering the gunfight.
The gunfight left him dead on the spot.
Two RAB men were also injured during the gunfight.
The elite force members also seized a foreign pistol, four round bullets and 2,500 Yaba tablets from the spot.