- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
All BNP candidates for 6 constituencies disqualified
Nomination papers of none of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s aspirants for six constituencies were accepted by the returning and assistant returning officers on Sunday.
The constituencies are Bogura 7, Dhaka 1, Manikganj 2, Rangpur 5, Shariatpur 1 and Jamalpur 4.
BDchronicle Bogura correspondent reported that there was no candidates of BNP in Bogura-7 seat as nomination papers of all the three aspirants in the seat, including BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, were cancelled.
Khaleda’s nomination paper was cancelled for conviction while those of other two for not resigning from the post of upazila chairman.
Our Manikganj Correspondent reported that there was now no candidate of BNP in Manikganj 2 seat as the nomination papers of all the candidates of the party for the seat were cancelled.
In Dhaka 1, the nominations of BNP candidates Khandaker Abu Ashfaq and Fahima Hossain Jubilee were trashed by the returning officer.
Contacted, Dhaka district BNP general secretary Abu Ashafq said he would go for all legal steps to justify his candidature.
New Age Correspondent in Rangpur reported that the nomination papers of all the two BNP candidates — Dr Momotaz Hossain and Solaiman Alam Fakir for Rangpur 5 constituency (Mithapukur) — were cancelled.
According to the EC official website, the nomination papers of BNP candidates from Shariatpur 1 Sardar AKM Nasir Uddin and Jamalpur 4 Md Faridul Kabir Talukder (Shamim) were cancelled.
As BNP nominated single candidate for the two constituencies, there is now no BNP candidate for the two seats.
BNP-led alliance chief coordinator Oli Ahmed, also president of Liberal Democratic Party, said that nomination papers of nearly 80 candidates of the alliance, including Khaleda Zia, were cancelled.
The last date for filing appeal with the Election Commission against cancellation of candidature is December 5.